Farmer for the Day
Simply nowhere else in Greece can you ‘live life’ on an organic farm.
"Play Farmer for the Day" at the Agreco Farm and learn just how it feels to make and eat home-made traditional Cretan food.
Get a ‘hands-on’ experience including:
• Preparing stuffed vegetables.
• Making farmhouse breadand baking it in the wood-burning oven. Try it fresh from the oven, dipped in virgin olive oil.
• Visitingthe wine press to taste organic wines and see where grapes are pressed by foot in the autumn.
• The raki still that produces Crete’s famous tsikoudia.
• Picking vine leaves to make the famous Greek dolmadakia. The Agreco cook makes wrapping the leaves look so easy – so see if you are as good!
• Pick vegetables from the organic gardens to enjoy later.
• We won’t ask you to catch the hens, just collect their eggs to make village-style scrambled eggs.
• Milk the goats and help shear the sheep! See how local cheese is made and taste the fresh milk.
• Make Cretan cheese pies
• In the Farm square, visit the Chapel of St. Nicholas, watch our artist at work and pop into the Farm Shop to buy Agreco organic products to remind you of your day at the farm.
At the end of the day, relax under the shady pergola with views over the olive groves down to the sea and enjoy a farmhouse lunch including the fruits of your labour.
While adults enjoy the Farm Experience, junior farmers join in fun-filled farm activities including making dough & baking, picking vegetables and preparing dishes for their own healthy Cretan lunch. Agreco Kids Experience is supervised by the children’s club staff.
"Farmer for the Day" is arranged on Wednesdays from 11.00 to 15:30hrs. Prior reservation necessary
Two Sundays each month (May-October), guests can enjoy a unique experience by helping with seasonal work on the farm – from shearing the sheep & goats, harvesting the wheat, treading the grapes, making raki, collecting the olives and making olive oil. Together with the trained farm-workers, learn about the local methods and either take part or take photographs!
The Cretan people, always looking for a reason to celebrate, organize harvest festival lunches on these days.
Festivals are arranged from 11.00 to 16.00hrs – two Sundays each month. Prior reservation necessary
Learn all about the organic Agreco Farm with an evening guided tour followed by a Cretan Feast in the award-winning Agreco Taverna.
Included in the tour:
• Vintage olive oil stone press
• Silk production
• Threshing floor
• Wood burning ovens
• Water mill
• Wine and raki distillery
• The Chapel of “St Nicolas Kourtaliotis”
• The Farmyard with local and rare animals
• “Kafenion” – Village store
• Workshops & artist’s studio
The Farm Tour starts at 18:30 (50 min. duration) – see programme for details
Enjoy the beautiful view, relax in natural surroundings and drink Greek coffee, raki, wine, beer and local soft drinksat the Agreco Kafeneio.
The Agreco Kafeneio is open daily from 11:00–20:00. See programme for details
Click here to see current programme: