Beaches & Villages
MONASTERIES & CHURCHES
Panormo, a small traditional village, lies in the middle of the north axis of Crete, 22 km from Rethymnon and 55 km from Heraklion. At the end of the previous century, Panormo acquired a distinctive fame due to its port which was the exporting centre for agricultural products of the region to Western Europe.
The castle of Mylopotamos (Castello di Milopotamo), built by Pescatore in the region and preserved by the Venetians, is known since 1212. In 1341, the Kapsokalyvai besieged the castle where Alexios Kalergis, who was in the service of the Venetians, was, but they did not manage to take it (Xanthoulides, ‘Venetian Rule’). In 1647, the castle was seized by the Turks. The Venetians under Gildasi, the general, tried to retake it in vain. In 1583, it was set alight and destroyed by Barbarossa and his pirates.