The hotel can organise Informal & Civil Weddings, Greek Orthodox services and Renewal of Vows.
Informal Weddings & Renewal of Vows
The most popular type of wedding at the hotels! Exchange your vows under the azure skies beside the turquoise seas in Crete.
The hotel can organise a special ceremony to exchange vows of eternal love or renew your promises as a couple. From simply the happy couple to the whole family in attendance, the choice is yours!
It is so simple to organize an informal ceremony, choose the date, the venue and the details, there is no paperwork required.
The couple can relax knowing that no detail has been left to chance. Grecotel offers informal wedding and Renewal of Vows options, which can be adapted to your needs.
A popular type of ceremony for a wedding abroad is the civil marriage. This is performed by the mayor of Kos Town at the Town Hall located 4kms from the hotel. The certificate is legally binding around the world and has no connection to any religious faith.
Civil Ceremony Requirements
Both the bride & groom require
• Application Form (provided by the Town Hall. Not needed when both names are registered on the certificate of no impediment).
• Residence Permit (if either the bride or groom is resident in Greece)
• Copies of Passports
• Full Birth Certificate, the shorter version of the Certificate will not be accepted.
• Certificate of No Impediment or Marriage Licence*, this document certifies that both parties are free to marry and can be obtained from your local registrar and can take up to a month to obtain, this certificate must not be issued more than three months prior to the wedding date (officially stamped and translated into Greek).
• Divorce or Death Certificate*, if previously married a certified copy of the divorce decree or death certificate if marriage ended due to the death of spouse.
• Wedding Announcement published in 2 newspapers (country of residence and country of marriage) at least 8 days before the marriage. The Announcement must state the full names of the bride & groom, date of wedding and place of residence – in this case the name of the hotel. This is not required if both names appear on the Certificate of No Impediment
• Payment: 150 Euros municipal tax for marriage at the Town Hall (extra charges may be made for other locations). 15 Euros Tax Stamp (paid in Greece to the Treasury Fund)
• During the marriage, the couple must have their Identity Cards / passports and two witnesses (over 18 and with Identity Cards / passport)
• The marriage must be registered within forty days of the wedding day
The following may also be required:
• Change of Name or Deed Poll Certificate*, this is required in the event that the bride or groom has changed name by Deed Poll or court order.
• Adoption Certificate* required if either party was adopted.
• Baptism Certificate*, required only for a Catholic or Greek Orthodox ceremony.
• Court Decision For Minors Under 18*
All documents marked * must be translated and bear the Hague (Apostille) stamp. This must be completed at least one month before the wedding.
• All foreign documents (before being translated) must bear the Hague stamp ΄΄Apostille΄΄ (for documents of countries which have signed this treaty)
• For the remaining countries, instead of the Hague stamp, an certification of the signature of the person signing the foreign text is required from the Greek Consulate in the country of issue of the certificate or from the consulate of the country itself in Greece and then from the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
• All foreign documents (except passports) must be officially translated into Greek from the Greek consulate in the country of issue or from the translating service of the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Athens or from a Greek lawyer
Greek Orthodox Ceremony
At the Church of St. Nicholas in Kos Town (4km) a local priest can perform the ceremony. One of you must be Greek Orthodox Church and both must be baptized in the Christian faith. The ceremony is performed in Greek.
Alternatively, for a Kos village wedding, the churches in Zia Village (25km) on the slopes of the Dikaios Mountain offer traditional picturesque scenes and the warm celebration of the Koians.
In the Town of Kos, there is also a Catholic church. Our wedding coordinators can assist with contacts.
Please note the cost of organising Civil or Religious Weddings is not included in any hotel offer.