The island of Kos has some of the most picturesque village in the Dodecanese. They have held on to the traditional style for most of the buildings and houses. The variety of churches, mosques, ancient, and medieval structures show the importance of the island to the different groups of people that inhabited the island.
Asfendiou is located on the side of the mountain Dikios 14 km from the town. There are 1.728 inhabitants. Included in this rural community are the villages of:
Zia, 15.5 km from town.
Lagoudi, 14 km from town.
St.Dimitrios, 15.7 km from town.
Asomatos, 14.5 km from town.
Zipari, 8 km from town.
Tigaki, 12 km from town.
Near Tigaki there is a salt valley. Modern day habits create a preference for dwelling in the low lying open areas but the old settlements are still hidden among the trees on the mountainside. Here springs of crystal clear water offer themselves to the local people for drinking and for irrigation of extensive areas of the surrounding farms. Many of the inhabitants are engaged in agriculture.
The village of Zia has a special beauty. It lies on the side of the mountain Dikaios and is very green having an abundance of clear streams. Certain birds endemic to the area, lend their song to add to the enchantment of the small pathways and brilliant white houses.
Mastihari is a small seaside community with pensions and family hotels. The newly built harbour accommodates small ferryboats, which run frequently back and forth to the neighbouring island of Kalymnos. There are several taverns on the shore here where plenty of fresh fish is available.
Kardamena is 25 km from Kos town. There are about 1.244 inhabitants in the seaside village where agriculture and fishing are the main occupations. To the north there is a castle on the hillside, which was inhabited by the Christians. In ancient times this was the region of Alasarna.
Kefalos lies 45 km from Kos town. It is the most isolated village in the west of the island. It has about 2.170 inhabitants who are mainly engaged in fishing. It is built on an embankment and lies one kilometre distant from Kamari on the coast. It is one of the most beautiful beaches of the island. Sandy with crystal clear waters, suitable for sea sports.
In 1922 Alessandro Della Setta and Doro Levi discovered important pale ontological finds in a cavern on the white rock, at a place called Palatia, and Luciano Laurenzi discovered the basilica of Saint Stephen in 1928. The hill of Zini lies at a distance of eight kilometres from the village and on it is the monastery of Saint John, which celebrates its festival on August 28.
Pyli, which is 15.6 kilometres away Kos town, has about 1.816 inhabitants. It is worth stopping at the junction of the main road, which leads to the villages with that of the road to Pyli, to admire the lake where the ducks continually disport themselves. Pyli also includes the hamlets of Amaniou and Konidario. The inhabitants are engaged in farming. They have a very rich yield thanks to the abundant water of two springs, that of Harmilos, king of the island in antiquity. An early Christian basilica, founded by Saint Christodoulos, as well as the historical castle of the village is to be found in Old Pyli. Also Luciano Lauvrenzi discovered in 1928 at Amaniou the sanctuary of two Eleusinian deities.
Antimahia (25 km. from town) is built on a plateau near the island's airport and Mastihari, second largest port of Kos island. Just 3 kilometres from here is a Venetian castle and two well-preserved Byzantine churches enclosed within it.